Friday, January 27, 2012

"Shit Everybody Says to Rape Victims" (inspired by "Shit Girls Say")

Next week, my graduate class is having a faculty roast, and we are making a video based on "Shit Girls Say," the popular youtube comedy series. I googled previous videos last night since we were going to film video clips for our video today, and I just happened to come across the video below - "Shit Everybody Says to Rape Victims" - based on the same series.

I thought this was a nice (and somewhat comedic) portrayal of the ridiculousness of secondary wounding comments that many of us face. With that being said, I can see how this video could be construed as negative by some survivors, so please proceed with caution as this video could be triggering for some.


Here's one I'd like to add (said with giggles by an acquaintance of mine following my rape):

"Well, I mean, he does have, like, a really small penis. I almost feel sorry for him. You know, date rape could be, like, his only means of getting any..."

Do you have any comments you'd like to see added to Act Two of this video?

2 comments:

  1. If it wasn't obvious that they were making fun of the ignorant comments that people often say to survivors I would have been offended by this video.

    The person who said the above comment to you is ignorant. I guess ignorance is a little better than mean.

    ReplyDelete