Friday, January 20, 2012

Healing via Poetry: Displaced Anger



I wanted to share this poem that I wrote last night. I am about to go take a makeup exam (yikes, wish me luck!), but I plan to follow it up tomorrow with a post on anger expression. 




Displaced Anger

Mother stands at my door
Fists pounding its frame
Where'd I go wrong she yells
I can take this no more.

Her words full of anger
I am to blame
She looks right through me
This ghost, this stranger.

Behind the closed door
Beating his chest
The floodgates open
I hold back no more

With tears I demand why
Why, why, why, WHY?!?!
Anger first expressed
But at the wrong guy.

Anger turned inwardly
Depression sets in
My mind's a prison
A cell with no key.

Behind the bars I dwell
Trapped in its emptiness
What once was my mind
Now my living hell.
(M.M.)

4 comments:

  1. I hope you did well on your makeup exam! This is a great poem, thank you for sharing it! Looking forward to your post on anger expression :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! And, I do think the exam went well :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing. The second verse is how I feel. So invisible.

    I hope the exam did go well like you suspect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, and thank you for reading! Keeping my fingers crossed about the exam - I'll report back once I find out.

      Delete