Monday, January 16, 2012

29 Goals for 29: My 2012 New Year's Resolutions

I went over to a friend's apartment last night, and on her closet door, she had a list of 30 goals that she had made on her 30th birthday. In the spirit of starting 2012 and celebrating my 29th birthday, which is coming up next month, I thought I'd make a list of my own. 

My list is below - do you have a list? If so, I'd love to hear what your goals are!



  1. Do more cardio exercise! (4 to 5 days a week, minimum of 30 minutes)
  2. Start working out with a trainer to develop weight lifting regimen
  3. Get caught up in my classes
  4. Do not fall behind in my current classes
  5. Finish writing out my story and share it
  6. Start talking in therapy about the painful things
  7. Accept the dreaded “R-word”
  8. Keep my apartment clean
  9. Make and keep an appointment with the OB-GYN
  10. Stay in better touch with my sister (she lives abroad) and friends
  11. Attend church more regularly
  12. Continue educating myself on Rape Trauma Syndrome (RTS) and effective coping strategies
  13. Start cooking at home more
  14. Be more social (i.e., don't turn down more than 2 consecutive social invitations)
  15. Get to class and clinic on time
  16. Finish folding 1,000 paper cranes to mail to Japan in response to tsunami devastation
  17. Read Judith Herman’s Trauma and Recovery
  18. Stop drinking Coca-Cola!
  19. Start sleeping in my bed again (Due to associated anxious feelings with sleeping in my bed, I have been sleeping on my sofa for months now)
  20. Be less critical of myself (i.e., continue to work on changing my internal dialogue)
  21. Respond daily to email
  22. Respond daily to missed calls and text messages (even if that means sending a text in return)
  23. Start taking a daily vitamin
  24. Finish reading Harriet Lerner’s The Dance of Anger
  25. Make a point to thank the individuals who have been integral in my healing journey
  26. Continue posting weekly on my blog
  27. Smile and laugh more
  28. Stand up for myself and speak my mind more often
  29. Meditate daily on the positive aspects of my life

2 comments:

  1. I could easily apply most of these to me, but the ones I really need to work on the most are 5, 6, 20, and 26. The picture in the post says a lot. It's not impossible, it is POSSIBLE

    ReplyDelete