Sunday, December 11, 2011

Amazing Individuals Alert: Miss World 1998

I'm not a huge follower of pageants, or even a fan of them, but I am a huge fan of 1998's winner of the "Miss World" pageant, Linor Abargil. This woman has exhibited amazing strength and courage and carries an important message for all victims of sexual assault - it's time to break
the silence.

At the age of 18, Linor was crowned "Miss Israel." A month and a half before Linor was scheduled to represent her country in the "Miss World" pageant, she was brutally raped by an Israeli travel agent. With the help and support of her mother, she managed to contain her fears and still participate in the pageant, a feat that would end up carrying significance for individuals everywhere - even those of us who could care less about pageants.

When Linor was crowned "Miss World," overnight she became a public figurehead in the fight for rape victims. Following her trial, she needed time to herself to mend her broken pieces and mend she did. She is back stronger than ever, spearheading a promising outreach campaign for victims of sexual assault to speak out.

As part of her campaign, she has created a documentary that showcases the stories of various survivors of sexual assault whom she has encountered during her quest to share her story and encourage others to speak out. By speaking out, we assign blame where blame belongs - on the perpetrator; we free ourselves of the shame that belongs to them. To view a preview of her documentary or to donate to her campaign, click on the image below:

5 comments:

  1. I wouldn't be able to compete afterward. She is very brave and I look forward to seeing the finished documentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you get a chance to view the preview on her website? It looks like the documentary was really well done.

    I wouldn't have been able to compete either. She mentions that her documentary will discuss how she coped so maybe we'll find out then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just now watched it.

    This is a documentary that I am going to watch when I have the house to myself. I know I will be a mess.

    I know how she coped, she pressed further than she felt like going and endured more than she felt like enduring. When she felt like giving up, she tried harder. That's how we win, and that's how we cope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I know how she coped, she pressed further than she felt like going and endured more than she felt like enduring. When she felt like giving up, she tried harder." - She sounds like someone I know [name starts J and rhymes with Lamey...:) ]

    ReplyDelete
  5. This person does sound pretty lamey. LOL

    ReplyDelete